+ What is Title Insurance?
Title insurance (also known as “Owner’s Title Insurance”) is a policy that protects the buyers' legal claims to their property as long as they own their home. With title insurance, buyers are protected against existing debts or claims to their property. Without title insurance, forgery, fraud, clerical errors, and more could come back to haunt you. This policy is a one time payment, usually at closing.
It is either the buyer or seller's decision to select a title company, therefore you can choose Celebrity Title to ensure your protection against existing debts and future claims to your property.
+ Is it the same as Lender's Insurance?
No. Lenders will usually require you to purchase a lender policy before they grant you a mortgage; however, the lender policy only covers the lender.
+ What kinds of things are covered?
Title insurance covers (but is not limited to) the following:
- Documents executed under duress
- Defective acknowledgement
- Inadequate legal descriptions
- Mistakes in recording legal documents
- Mistaken reports furnished from taxing authorities
- Misinterpretation of wills
- Deed of community property recited to be separate property
- Errors in tax records (e.g. listing payment against wrong property account)
- Falsification of records
- Errors in indexing of legal documents by the County
- Marital rights of spouse allegedly, but not legally, divorced
- Forged deeds, releases, etc.